4.03.2012

Old Pics of Getting Older

  This picture is from Korea, November 2010. This was the first time Eric visited me in Korea. We celebrated my 30th birthday. The day before, we had toured the Bamboo Forest in Damyang. (see earlier posts) Then we had dinner with some friends, and two of my co-teachers. They gave me the brown headband, seen below.  This picture is posed - just after the mini birthday party at work.  My boss gave me the nice warm green scarf, also seen below. Everyone rushed into his office to sing and pull little "poppers" (full of confetti) - then they had me hold the cake (yes, those are crushed strawberries all around it) for a picture; then they quickly clean everything up and box up the cake to send with me- and that's it. Birthdays are a little different in Korea, but you do sort of get used to it.
  Notice that the cake is all fruit and whip cream - they really don't use food coloring.

   This is a more recent picture (as in a few months, oops) - it's from November 14, 2011.  I had been married for 2 days to my wonderful husband, Eric; but he had to work 24 hours. I had gone to dinner with some good friends, and then taken one of them to the airport. One of my best friends, Annita, was still here on the island with her husband, Jake. I met them for dessert. 31 years old. Married. Still love a big, ooey, gooey, chocolatey treat! Yeah, so I maybe thought the BIG spoon was for the birthday girl... but, after the picture, Annita pointed out that perhaps it was the serving spoon. Oops.

              Oh yes, THIS is a dessert! I wasn't in Korea anymore...

   This restaurant also had big fancy candles. They sang an interesting "Happy Birthday" song.  All the waitstaff came out to sing. No, I didn't follow them and sing back. Guess I AM getting older...
 
   Guess I'm a bit behind on these postings, but the memories of kicking off my early thirties are of great friends with good food and even better fellowship.  I am thankful to have friends all around the world to help me celebrate, and I'm happy to be back in America, where we have REAL chocolate. Yummy.

No comments:

Post a Comment