1.11.2012

Farewell, Korea!

In mid-October of 2011, I completed my contract teaching in Korea.
It was time to bid farewell to South Korea.
I had made my little apartment home... from a photo line sculpture above my bed...
 To happy photos on the wall from when Eric visited 
and we went to the Bamboo forest for my birthday...
 To another picture on the cupboard's side - this one is also of Eric with me. Tee he he.
 I gave some items away, shipped some back to the US, and packed up the rest.
Suddenly, the closet "dressing room" seemed SO big and empty.
Guess I had gotten a few hangers for my clothes there over the one year...
 I cleaned my cute little kitchen for the last time,
even moving the stove!
 It was time to scrub down the bathroom.
 One more little walk around my Gwangju city...
 Then, it was time for a proper Farewell from friends. 
We started at my favorite Japanese restaurant, 
right there in my local dong. (neighborhood) 
Here is Jenn with Sasha.
It was nice that Sasha traveled from Buson.
 Anna, laughing, with Mano, looking a bit perplexed.
 Ta-da! Here we are!
Andrea and Hannah
 Karl and Andrea, clearly enthused.
 My last time to eat one of my fav. meals here. It's basically a port chop, breaded, over rice.
While so far away from home, in Korea, this was one of my "comfort foods".
 Of course we had mandu and chicken wings, too.
Part of what I loved about this place was the owner and his wife - they are so sweet.
They even gave me a "going away to home" gift. 
 After dinner, it was on to another favorite place.
Actually, I didn't go here often, but it's called "Soul Train", 
so we had to go once in a while. Ha.
Anna, Hannah, & Andrea
 Then it was on to Speakeasy, mainly for pool.
Stephanie stopped by briefly. Yay!
Then it was on to the Noree Bong (singing room).
This is a karoake place - but your group gets its own room.
This particular Nora Bong is pretty cool - it has an alien theme.
 Anna, peeking out of our room.
 Sasha looks on and Karl holds the mike for Andrea.
 Hannah rocks out with Anna.
 Clearly, I was meant to play the tambourine!
 Into the wee hours of the night/morning... Hannah, still SHAKE'N IT!
(the tambourine, of course)
 What? It's time to leave already.
 Help! It's a scary alien!
Hannah, Alien, Chelsea
 A different day, my last week in Korea:
Of course I had to say goodbye to First Nepal,
our fav. Indian restaurant in Gwangju.
One of my two "usuals". Yummy!
 Sasha, clearly amused. Wait, why isn't she sad? I'm leaving!
 Someone told me that I'd have to turn over my Korean ID, which I did have to do 
at the airport, so I took a picture of that, as well. Note that appearance is SO significant 
in Korea that my school had my picture taken professionally, also touched up - yeah, 
they did the best they could with what I had to work with. Ha.
 Just as I was leaving, the City was starting a huge construction project in my dong. 
This is the view from my bus window as I left my dong for the last time.
 The airport in Seoul.
Leaving Korea was bittersweet.
It was especially interesting because I left 2 weeks earlier
than I told my fiance I was able to originally - so I could surprise him!
It was time to say"Anyangasayo" (Goodbye) 
to my beloved city of Gwangju, students, and dear friends.
Then the journey to a new home began...

No comments:

Post a Comment