1.12.2012

Mele Kalikimaka!

Our first Christmas tree together as the Jacksons!

  Christmas, and December, in Hawaii is a little different; even after living in SC for about a decade. It is just so warm and bright and green here! We went to the beach Dec. 26th and soaked up some sun together. It was easier to choose ice tea than hot chocolate. The Christmas music says, "Mele Kalikimaka!" instead of "Merry Christmas!" However, I was determined to make it more festive at our house. Since most of my ornaments are in Indiana (I've been out of the country for a year) at my parent's house, and Eric doesn't really have many ornaments here, either; I decided we would hand make enough ornaments to fill our tree. Of course, there was origami!

This was a gift - our first Christmas together. It is complete with our name, wedding date, and a palm tree with the bride-and-groom bears.I also made red felt ornaments in the shape of Christmas items, like hearts and stockings and stars. Many of our ornaments included hearts. See the paper hearts, here, as well.

We focused mainly on a red-white-gold theme. Many ornaments were paper, including a paper chain. These fun little "spirals" were in the bouquet that we received on our wedding day from Eric's family. I saved them and then just shoved them into the tree.

There were store-bought Christmas balls. The tree came with lights, one of our super deals picked up in the middle of the night on Black Friday. (Eric wanted to go - this will NOT be a Jackson tradition.) Our tree topper was my first (and only, so far) polish star. These would work better as ornaments, not toppers. However, they are wonderful - and I will be making more. The brown bow here was saved (and moved) from my little tree in Korea. It was on a gift I got last year.

Another decoration at the Jackson household was fun, yet simple. I covered the backs of our two chairs with a basic red pillowcase, then tied it up with a white ribbon to look like a gift. Nice.

Our tree is about 5 feet tall, so we put it on an end table. I wrapped the bottom in a sarong I picked up on the cheap at the Goodwill. It is white with red and crimson hibiscus flowers - perfect for Christmas in Hawaii! I also strung up little gold bells to hang all around the tree, and we later added wrapped candy canes to continue the festivities. This is how I learned how much my husband loves peppermint... some of the decorations kept "disappearing". Ha. I also had some left-over poinsettia-looking flowers from another project, so I cut them apart and just sort of stuck them in straight, all around the tree.
  I made some origami this year, but the fans were from my friend, Anna. She has yet to teach me how to make these... Of course, everything got glitter. I think if you can see any green of the tree, you can always add more ornaments!

 Ornaments and decorations, up close!

Our pretty little Christmas tree. 
Happy birthday, Jesus!

   We had two good friends join us for Christmas dinner. Afterwards, we played a game of SouthPark Uno that lasted for over an hour. It was good food and fellowship with friends; but there was still no snow. We knew we'd get to see some snow later, as we were traveling to Indiana the end of December, but Christmas still felt odd. We went to church, but the Pastor had an aloha shirt under his robes. The evening service was at 5 PM. It was all nice, but still a bit odd. Our house was still festive, and it was nice to spend some relaxing time together. Oh yes, our house was festive... Once I start decorating... it's difficult for me to stop. I like to keep things simple, but nice and festive. For example, one of the towel bars in the bathroom...

The Jackson Christmas tree in the daytime... still beautiful!
Oooh, from where oh where did all those gifts come?!

May the angels and stars on your tree be more than just holiday decorations - may you always remember the real reason for Christmas, and that it is followed by Easter. Christ is born! Christ is risen! HE came, lived, died, and rose - so that you and I might have eternal life. Alleluia!! May you enjoy decorating your home, and may you always have good friends and beloved family members with which to celebrate. "Merry Christmas to all, and to all a good night!"

No comments:

Post a Comment