12.13.2010

Home, Sweet Home, Part I

 Many people have been asking about my apartment... so, here is one of my two main rooms.
This is my  bathroom in my apartment in Korea.  I have pretty much "lucked" out with my accomodations... and I am thankful to have been so blessed.  When I first moved in, there were a few mildew/black mold issues... but I have been working on that.  I thoroughly bleached EVERYTHING and used a few things to disable the mold.  When my friend, Eric, was here, he got me some caulk and a caulk gun (um, yeah, total further confirmation that he def. likes me...); so SOON, I shall be ripping up some of the caulk that is there and cleaning under it, then reapplying new.  I'm very excited, just haven't had a chance to do it yet.  At least the area is cleaner, which helps me breathe a bit better.  Hooray.

 This is my "shower".  It is the whole bathroom, just a shower head on the wall above the sink.

 Notice the drain on the floor under the sink.  This is where all the water from my shower goes.  I pretty much just pour bleach down it every few weeks to keep it flowing quickly.  Otherwise, you end up with a few inches of water sitting on your bathroom floor after every shower; which is not my fav.  However, I am quite thankful that I have running water, that I now know how to operate the hot water and usually have it, that I have my own bathroom, etc.
  Yes, the floor is VERY slippery when wet.  I usually place one towel in front of the sink to help me avoid falling.  Then I put one towel by the door, so that I can go into the bathroom whilst getting ready and then dry my feet at the door before exiting.  This means I also can't put on my socks (or tights) until just before I leave unless I am done in the bathroom... a slight inconvenience. 

 This is the bathroom "fan"... Yes, it might also look like the window.  The Koreans love to open windows to "help circulate the air and keep you healthy"... I have yet to see the windows in the bathroom at school shut; no matter what the temperature is outside.  Often, I put my coat on to go to the bathroom at work.

After I took my first shower in Korea, all the "toilet paper shields" that I kept seeing suddenly made sense.  This is the counter running from my sink to the wall by the door.  Everything in the bathroom can and will get wet when you shower; so it doesn't really make sense to me to even have a counter here - you can't really store much on it.  Also, the towel rack is directly across from where the shower head is.  When I questioned this, I was reminded that it was probably put there because that is where "it is supposed to be" - like someone saw it in a magazine or something, so that is where they put it; never mind that it should be placed where it will be able to best function.

1 comment:

  1. hahaha! gotta love their aesthetic sense, putting the towel rack "where it's supposed to be." :-) I find it odd that the whole bathroom is the shower. I guess it does make the whole room slightly easier to clean, but still...I would think Korean ingenuity would have come up with something better!

    ReplyDelete