3.06.2012

Getting Ready for the Military Ball

  This post will only be started now, as most of the pictures from the evening are elsewhere at the moment. However, I was hunting and hunting for proper attire and whatnot. As there was an expense for our tickets, I was not too eager to spend much money on a dress. Plus, I always like a clothing hunt...
   I ended up choosing a blue gown from the Goodwill, $12.  Add in heels from Payless, on sale, $5.99. (yes, really, and in my big-foot size, to boot!) Add in a shimmery wrap from a different Goodwill on a different day, $3, but with a 1/2 off sticker, so only $1.50. Then, the purse...


  I figured a simple blue dress was okay, it wasn't my first choice, but could work. Then I could just have fun playing with the accessories. Thinking silver was just too "1990s prom", I opted for gold... then couldn't find a gold clutch ANYWHERE, except for a few over $125. (yeah, right) So, of course, I did what any resourceful, crafty kind of girl would do, and I made one!

  Look closely, for in a former life this used to be a placemat. A few folds here and a little glue gunning there (only because I didn't have a machine yet)... then I added the top of a ring from the clearance bin at Claire's (yes, I still shop there, sometimes), because I didn't have an old broach the right color. Total purse cost, about $4. What a fun little clutch!

  So, my entire gown and accessories were less than $25 (which, I will ignore that was doubled when I consider that I also dry cleaned the dress; but I'm not counting that), this being about 1/3 the cost of one of our tickets: priceless!
  I'll post more pictures from the evening, with more of a report, soon.
  I'm def. making more of these clutch purses, and also want to play around with place mats to make a tote-bag version. Try making one for yourself, OR, if you prefer - ask to see more of mine. (yes, they are available for purchase; and they make great and unique gifts)

No comments:

Post a Comment