11.12.2012

Attitude of Gratitude #12, TWO times!

Happy Veterans Day.

  Happy? Really? It’s worth a moment to ponder and reflect. Is this something for which to be thankful, that our country has to have Veterans and remember those who have died? That we are still at war, that we are uncertain perhaps about the future of America in light of recent events, that we seem to repeat similar mistakes, that the world does not always agree or like America?
  Let us perhaps instead appreciate those who have served, despite the items listed above. America goes to war. Soldiers die. Uncertain future. Mistakes. Countries disagree. Someone (gasp) doesn’t like US.
   Yet, some Americans have done so and continue to fight for freedoms. Soldiers sacrifice and risk their lives so that “good” will win over evil, that “right” will be done, and that America will remain strong, healthier, and the “land of the free” because they are the brave.
   For me, it is difficult for me to be “happy” about many things in America today. Perhaps because I recognize what she was intended to be, how she has been, and also what she could be.
  Instead, let me wish you a Thankful Veterans Day.
Thankful.

My Grandfather served in the Navy during WWII. All around the oceans, he served his country. My Uncle also served in the Navy, as I did later. My father was in the Air Force. My husband currently serves in the Army. I have many other friends who serve. Some have served, fought, and made the ultimate sacrifice. I miss some dear friends because they are stationed all around the world. I miss other dear friends because they will never return.
When I was in high school, my JROTC instructors were both retired Green Berets, one who served in Vietnam and another who hunted evil in Panama and Grenada. Each of those men influenced my life in a profound way. They were teachers, now friends, always great examples of the kind of leader for which to strive to be, and forever two of my heroes.
Today, on Veteran’s Day, take time to remember the Veterans in our lives. From the men who stormed the beaches at Normandy and fought Communism at Chosin, to the ones who stalked the enemy in the jungles of Vietnam and South America, to the warriors of today who brought freedom to Iraq and hunt the Taliban in the Afghan mountains; our country’s veterans have always been a beacon of hope to others, a symbol of freedom, liberty, and honor, and an unbroken promise to defend those who cannot defend themselves. They have given up safety and comfort, missed birthdays and anniversaries, and watched their children grow up in letters and photos. Yet, the veteran has never shrunken from their duty, up to and paying the ultimate price. Today, take time to stop and remember veterans, whether it’s one who passes you on the street, one who influenced your life, or one who’s final home was halfway around the world as they made the ultimate sacrifice. America’s veterans have never forgotten her, and it’s our duty to never forget them. God bless freedom, God bless our veterans, and God bless the United States of America.

Today, I am thankful for all those who have and do serve. I am thankful that as so often needed and proved in recent years, those serving are more courageous and honorable than their “leadership”. I am thankful for veterans and their families who support them to be the best soldiers/sailors/etc. that they can be, all so that you and I can have freedoms and a better life here in America.

I am also thankful that, though I am here in America now, this world is temporary. I am only passing through for a little while. I am so glad that, despite how foolish Americans are and how much I do not deserve it, God will always hold me in His loving hands. My earthly future may seem uncertain, but Jesus has redeemed me with His blood so that my heavenly future is secure. It is certain, it is by grace through faith in Christ alone, and it is eternal. No matter who is president or who has to serve in a war or whatever happens, Jesus is my true King and He alone offers real peace to our hurting world’s temporary dwellers.

Yes, indeed THANKFUL.
If you have served, thank you for your service. If you have supported someone who served, thank you for your sacrifice, as well. For those who fought and gave their lives, you are not forgotten.
May you have a Thankful Veterans Day!

No comments:

Post a Comment