5.14.2011

Well, they do go together...

    While posting the egg dying pictures, I realized that perhaps I haven't actually posted the pics. from decorating Christmas sugar cut-out cookies with my class. Here goes:

 Michelle, Lucy, Lily, and Suzie.  Don't be confused - the Korean school year starts in March, so this is old Columbia class.  Some of these students are now in Brown class - and they dyed Easter eggs, as well.

 Some of Harvard class: Erica and Hubert.  He is a bit of a class clown, and he knows it.  
These students def. keep their teacher on her toes!  It's okay though, I like challenges.

 Andrew, also in Harvard class.  He was SUPER excited, though he doesn't look too thrilled here.

   Hannah Teacher did not yet have food coloring here - so we got creative.  I DID hunt down some actual sprinkles - no small feat (or cheap treat) in Korea.  We used regular white frosting.  I had to make my own powdered sugar - also a fun task.  The frosting turned out VERY sweet, so of course the kids loved it.  I let them eat their cookies right at the end of class - and then sent them on their way.  Oops.

 Hubert was working on coloring his paper cup "bell" for the music festivities later AND decorating cookies.

 Mmm.  Delicious cookies, and not just because these kids basically have no 
reference point for sugar cookies.

 They all enjoyed the cookies.  So did other co-workers.

 We used sprinkles and chocolate covered sunflower seeds.  Hey, it's what I could get here.  THANKS to Anna for letting me use her oven.  Cookies take a long time to bake, but it works.  I have no oven.

 Columbia class - Max and Nick, working diligently.

 Red Nemo, decorating her cookie.
  She used to have red glasses.

      It is difficult for my students to just decorate - they are so used to placing everything so perfectly.
Cookie decorating was fun.  I did this with I think five of my classes, mainly the younger ones.  They didn't quite all understand what we were doing or why - but they ALL liked the cookies.  Yummy.
This is still fitting because we are in the season of Easter, and without Easter, there is no point for Christmas.

Welcome to Korea.         Merry Christmas!       Happy Easter!

2 comments:

  1. What a great idea to share this with the kids. It must have been quite interesting for them as well as you in this activity. I think that it is good to do some fun stuff sometimes instead of work all the time. You are such a great person!

    ReplyDelete
  2. so I'm just now catching up on your entries since January...for some reason my computer didn't show all your posts until now. (?) Where do the names for the classes come from? Why is it so hard to find sweet treats in Korea? And how in the WORLD did you figure out how to make your own powdered sugar??

    ReplyDelete