5.14.2011

Dying Easter Eggs at School

    Since I had  a free period (open) with one of my classes (which is a whole other story) the week before Easter, I decided to let one of my classes try to dye Easter eggs.  We had read about "American Easter" (secular only) in Reading class, so this could tie in with that.  It was a great way to review some of the new vocabulary, like "dye".  
   There were six students in this class.  Note that Korea doesn't really have food coloring! I had brought some with me from America, but it is completely "magic" to these kids.  Think about the first time you saw food dye.  You were probably very young, but even my older kids were fascinated.
    Here we are getting ready.  A few o the kids were trying my patience a bit and I was still VERY sick this week - but we still had fun.  Here are some of the pictures from Brown Class' first egg dying adventure.

 We are getting things set up.  I had to get a little creative with our tools, but that is okay.  Here, I think I was stressing the importance of NOT getting food dye on your clothing, because it is permanent.
  Pictured here: Michelle (her arm is the red sleeve), Janee (who insists it is "Jenny"), Alice, Lynn, Lucy, and Red Nemo.  Yes, her English name is Red Nemo - chosen under the previous instructor's guidance.

 Food dye going into the water - AMAZING.

 Alice, concentrating.

 Michelle, dying her egg. Teachers aren't "supposed" to have favorites...

    Janee, showing off her dyed egg.  Red Nemo and Lucy are in the background.
  Actually, I took LOTS of pictures of my students and their eggs - but it was on the school camera, and most of them were removed before I got to download them.  I'm glad a few survived.
  The fun challenge of this project for me was that you can really only get brown eggs in Korea.  I looked online and found out that you can do this "marbling" method of dying eggs - which works best with brown eggs!  This was a bit advanced for kids who didn't understand that these hard boiled eggs were not just a snack - so we sort of just did our own thing.
  The kids really enjoyed this.  After we were done, as I was getting everyone's egg "dry" enough to stick in their own cups and cover to take home... and trying to figure out who went to another academy and should refrigerate thier eggs... Alice asked if she could eat it.  She meant right then, she didn't need to show anyone.  (Hey, we were supposed to have pictures, right?)  So I let her peel her egg.  Then Red Nemo followed, then everyone else.  No one went home with eggs that day.  Ha.  To be in American 2nd or 3rd grade again.

No comments:

Post a Comment