5.21.2011

Three Friends Who Got Seoul!

   In Korea, May 5th is Children's Day.  This is a National holiday (more on that later) - but note that we get the day off from school.  Hooray!  We ALSO have May 10th (Buddah's birthday) off - which meant a Thursday and the following Tuesday (but NOT Friday or Monday) off, which makes more sense when you remember that most Korean teachers also work Saturday and possibly Sunday, as well.
  When I found out that a dear friend, Emily, would be visiting from Russia (she is teaching there like I am teaching here, also from America) during this time, I fought (seriously) to also get Friday off, so I could take the longer weekend and we could take a mini trip.
  Thursday morning, three friends embarked on a trip to Seoul.  First, we made a mad dash to the multi-level electronics mart so I could purchase a new camera - long over due.  I figured a weekend trip to Seoul was the perfect place to familiarize myself with a new camera... so here goes the report, complete with pictures!
    The bus ride from Gwangju to Seoul is about 4 hours.  It cost $17 to get our ticket, then we were to be on our way.  
  Oh wait, the funny (and nerve-wracking) part was after we got the camera - we had about 15 minutes to get to our bus.  They usually leave on time.  We made a stop at the bathroom, but then someone wanted coffee... which takes a LONG time here in Korea.  
  We ended up literally RUNNING to catch our bus.  As I rounded the corner and went through the doorway, I caught a glimpse of the bus door shutting.  I heaved my bag further up onto my shoulder and made a lounge towards the door.  One of the employees not leaving on the bus halted the driver.  I jumped up onto the step and he was going to let me go.  Emily ran up behind, but Anna was coming through a different exit door so we couldn't see her, and Emily dashed back into the station.  I tried to ask the driver to wait a minute, but my Korean was lacking.  It was all a bit of a blur.  I actually stood there, in the bus' doorway, blocking the door, until Emily and Anna were both in sight.  They boarded the bus and we quickly took seats.  Who knows if they were "our" seats - we were just glad to be on the bus.  Whew.  That was too close for comfort.
  Emily, a bit under the weather, settled in for a bit of a rest.  Anna thought she could keep me quiet with music, but I was too excited!

Two of us - me with Anna, on the bus, ready for adventure!


This is mostly what the view is on the way to Seoul by bus.

We arrived in Seoul.  The bus station tunnels into the subway, our next choice of transportation.  Here we were, ready for adventures so exciting they were still unbeknownst to us.
The Terrific Trio, together once again: Hannah, Anna, and Emily
LOOK OUT, SEOUL!

 Walking through the subway.  It is VERY clean, a little 
crowded, and full of little open-market style shops.  
Welcome to Seoul.  Welcome to Korea.


   Our next stop is the Palace.  This is the oldest palace in Korea, complete with a temple and museums.  We take the subway, find lockers for our stuff (another fantastic part I love about Korea - there are lockers almost everywhere, and they are secure and cheap), and walk towards the exit, which opens into the edge of the palace grounds.

I think we are getting closer...
 Yup, def. closer. We walk up just as they were about to have a 
ceremony like a "changing of the guards".  Super cool.

 There's the palace!  Hmmm.  Looks like a few other 
people had our idea to visit today, as well.

Walking closer to the Palace: Emily and Hannah
 

Off to one side is this.  I think it used to have water in it?

Walking closer, look up.  You see this:

This area, like the temples, all have intricate designs.  
Most of the ones in Korea look "just like" most of the other ones, but they still intrigue me.
 The palace grounds are surrounded by mountains:

Let's take a closer look, inside one of the buildings:

Look up:

Look inside.

 Walking around the grounds:

Can you hear the music?
There is a concert... costumes and a big drum!
 Wait a minute!  Those clothes make us think of Germans, or even Dutch. ?

This building was some sort of school house.

I could study here.

The buildings are interesting.

   Well, this is NOT the end of the palace grounds, and that was only the beginning of the trip - but my new camera, well, it was new, so the battery needed to be charged, which I did not do by getting on the bus... so this is the end of this post for now.  (More to follow!) 
   Here I am, welcoming you to come along for the rest of this trip:

1 comment:

  1. I love the pictures! That schoolroom looks so calm and conducive to quiet study. :-)

    ReplyDelete