11.28.2010

Thankful in Korea

"Oh give thanks unto the Lord, He is good; His mercy endureth forever." -Ps.136:1
  Here is Anna carving the "turkey".  Actually, it was pork tenderloin.  Koreans do not really eat turkey.  We could maybe find it here, but it would be really expensive.  Basically, we could spend all of our dinner budget on one turkey for just a few people OR have the rest of the meal with pork.  We opted for everything else - and pork tenderloin here is fairly cheap and delicious!


My friend Anna hosted out "American Thanksgiving" in Korea at her house.  She also did most of the work for it - which was a ton of work.  Thank you, Anna!  I helped.  The kitchen got really hot, so here is a pic. of me walking away to strip down to a tank and then back towards the kitchen.  Not my best pic, but one of the few of me that day.

Our menu included pork tenderloin, garlic mashed potatoes, salad greens with sauteed onions and cucumbers and croutons, hot spicy carrots, sweet potato pie, stuffing, corn, and, of course, pumpkin pie with whip cream!

 Note that we had to make EVERYTHING from scratch -- first the croutons for the stuffing and salad, then pumpkin pie, everything.  Getting a can of pie filling just isn't an option in Korea.  Good thing we actually prefer making most of the meal from scratch anyway.  We were also working with two stove top burners and a small toaster oven.  We are thankful for these though!
Good food shot.  Delicious food with good friends, old and new.  Thanksgiving in Korea felt a bit strange.  I am still church shopping, so just had my own devotional at home.  There were good friends, but it was not the same as going "home" to my Mums' house.  It was a little chilly, but we didn't have snow.  (yet)  I had to go to work on Thursday and Friday.  I tried to talk to the kids about "American Thanksgiving" and even ended up taking in a pie for one class (long story) - but it was pretty much like any other day here for most people.  Thanksgiving is one of my favorite holidays (no big shocker, since I enjoy cooking and love to eat) - so I still celebrated it.  I was glad for my "sister" Anna and her efforts.  I am glad for new friends.  We still made a delicious meal.  I am glad to go to a job which I enjoy, even if I feel like it should be a "holiday".
  We all have so very much for which to be thankful.

1 comment:

  1. What a lovely meal. I can't believe you cooked all that with just a toaster oven! Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete