11.09.2010

A bit more information, finally.

This week is already a bit of a whirlwind.  I have pretty much "settled into" both my apartment and my new job.  Most days, I go to the correct classroom and know the student's (English) names without looking at the seating chart in my book.  Except for a few of what I call "opportunity" students, the most difficult part of my job is usually operating the computer and the a/c in each room.  (Students stay in the same rooms, the teachers move from one classroom to the next.)  So, like any smart American - I ask my second grade students to help.  They are amazing with the electronics; so they help me with that and I help correct their word pronunciations.  It works out well.
  At work, I try to plan ahead as much as possible.  I like to write out lesson plans, looking at each class for the next few months.  This is particularly important because I teach fifteen different classes, ranging from American grades K through 5.  There are a few classes that I see more than once a week, but this is not true for most of them.  I use a variety of books, as well.  Compound this with coworkers whose native language is not English; and I am thankful that I seem to have some mad organizational skills.  However, even "the best laid plans" do not always work out; as my co-teachers and head teachers seem to use the Korean system of organization; which is mostly a mystery to everyone else.  So I am learning to be flexible and, while prepared as possible, also ready to adapt at a moment's notice.  I am also thankful that working with children of any age does not make me nervous.  I can talk to anyone about anything; so even if I am told to walk "cold" into a classroom and I haven't been able to prepare for that class, the students will still learn something that day.  It might be whatever I know best or am studying at the time; but they will learn something.
  Part of why I am trying to work so far ahead is that I have company coming this week.  (more on that later)
  I am not completely healthy yet, as I've been battling a nasty cold/sinus infection/allergy funk for about three weeks now.  Part of that is to be expected, as I had never been out of the US before and now live in Korea.  New food, new water, new environment; and weather that insists upon a 35-40 degree difference from 1:00 PM to 8:30 PM.  I did learn that going to the pharmacy can help significantly.  You just tell (or in my case motion to explain) your symptoms and the pharmacist gives you a box of "magic pills" for less than $5.  They do start clearing up the symptoms; but it still makes one wonder.
  My thoughts feel scattered, as there is so much to "catch up" on the blog here... I had a bit of a situation (my computer translated my blog back into Korean, which I don't actually know yet, and I didn't know how to add a post...) - but it should be better now.  As time permits, I will be filling in some more of the gaps of where I live, what I'm doing here, and the continued adventures of daily life as Hannah.
 

1 comment:

  1. Thirty-five to forty degree differences?! I thought SC was bad.

    ReplyDelete