12.07.2011

I'm not in Korea anymore!

  Last December, I was in South Korea. Christmas is an American holiday. Needless to same, Christmas and December, in Korea, well, it wasn't quite the same. Thanks to my friend, Anna, who helped me hunt down some greenery so that we could make wreaths for our front doors. Drawing from my location at the time, I found inspiration and covered my wreath (and also my small tree later) with origami. You may remember my 2010 wreath from pictures. (or dig through to that blog here)
   However, as I am no longer in Korea, I am somewhere in between Korea and the midwest of my childhood Christmases.  My wonderful husband is off working in the field this week and I am at home doing Christmas-ish projects. I wanted to make a nice wreath (on the cheap, to boot) for our first Christmas together. I thought about making more origami. Then I thought about our current location - Hawaii. There could be shells and blue ornaments, but instead I went with things you would find on a lei here, like this:
Up a little closer...
    Notice the closest I could get to hibiscus and pointsettias, with two little parts (shell rings and nuts) that would fill a lei. We are using tons of red, gold, and white at the Jackson house this year. I'm hoping it all turns out classic, elegant, and beautiful. I love tons of red at Christmas, representing the LOVE filling us.

   Eventually, this will probably go on our front door; but for now, it's inside. I know it's still Advent... but I'm making the ornaments and decorations and whatnot now.  This could really be a fun new game - make a wreath with elements from our local area each year.

   Where are you celebrating Christmas this year? How creative will you be with your wreath?  I challenge YOU to make your own wreath, even a small one, and use items from wherever you are.  Oh, and I can't wait to hear/see all about it.

1 comment:

  1. I love it! That's a lovely tradition to start. :-) One day you could have a wreath on every door in the house, each with a story of adventure behind it!

    ReplyDelete